Main Roads WA is working towards the re-opening of highways and major roads across the Pilbara as part of the Cyclone Veronica recovery phase.
Clean-up crews are operating within the Port Hedland town site and immediate surrounds, clearing debris and repairing signage.
An aerial assessment of the extent of flooding, and further land based inspections will soon commence.
Main Roads Executive Director for the Northern and Central Regions John Erceg said assessment’s would be conducted today on the section of the Great Northern Highway from Auski Roadhouse to the North West Coastal Highway intersection near Port Hedland.
“It may be possible to allow limited access on the route to Port Hedland for essential supplies such as food and water.
“Road inspectors will also head out from Nanutarra, Onslow and Port Hedland to assess, where possible, the extent of damage and debris build up on North West Coastal Highway,” Mr. Erceg said.
There has been significant rain and flooding impact on the North West Coastal Highway, Marble Bar Road and major roads between Port Hedland and Karratha.
Mr. Erceg said it may take several days for waters to receded sufficiently enough for inspectors to access some locations, adding that flooding may hamper road re-opening in some places.
“We have to be mindful that while the storm is abating, heavy rain in inland catchment areas is impacting river systems to varying degrees, bringing with it the risk of river water levels rising overnight in some areas.”
Roads that are currently closed include:
- Karratha-Tom Price Road (Warlu Road) between Cherratta Road and North West Coastal Highway
- Madigan Road – Karratha
- Dampier Road – Karratha
- Point Samson – Roebourne Road
- North West Coastal Highway from the Fortescue Roadhouse to the Great Northern Highway
- The Great Northern Highway from Buttweld Road to the Sandfire Roadhouse
- Great Northern Highway between Auski Roadhouse and the Sandfire Roadhouse
- Marble Bar Road from Great Northern Highway to the Roy Hill Village access road south of Nullagine
- Ripon Hills Road