The Federal Government has welcomed the release of Infrastructure Australia’s (IA) 2020 update to its priority list.
The list delivered its largest set of proposals to date with 147 national significant projects, 14 of which are already supported by Federal Government.
Deputy Prime Minister and Minister for Infrastructure, Transport and Regional Development Michael McCormack said IA’s List gives Governments independent, expert input on where they should be directing infrastructure spending.
“This year’s list provides a new snapshot to guide infrastructure investment across the nation over the next 15 years,” Mr. McCormack said.
“The list focuses on delivering regional and urban projects to support a growing population, to meet the national freight challenge and get Australians home to their loved ones sooner and safer,” he said.
The list also highlighted issues such as severe drought and environmental changes that are causing unprecedented infrastructure demand.
The report noted that demand for water systems is increasing and the water cycle is also being altered by changing climate, changes to run-off and evaporation due to land and forest management.
“Strategic advice and expert planning is critical to help guide the Federal Government’s 10-year, $100 billion infrastructure plan,” Mr. McCormack said.
Projects on the list already supported by the Federal Government include:
- $155 million for the Nowra Bridge project
- $500 million for the NSW section of the Princes Highway Corridor, with investment decisions to be informed by the now completed Princes Highway Corridor Strategy
- $225 million for the Frankston to Baxter Rail Upgrade
- $269 million for Gold Coast Light Rail Stage 3A
- $375 million for the M1 Pacific Motorway – Eight Mile Plains to Daisy Hill upgrade
- $500 million for the M1 Pacific Motorway – Varsity Lakes to Tugun upgrade
- $130 million for the Bruce Highway – Deception Bay Road Interchange upgrade
- $530 million for the Bruce Highway – Caboolture-Bribie Island Road to Steve Irwin Way upgrade
- $241 million for the Bruce Highway – Maroochydore Road and Mons Road Interchanges upgrade
- $800 million for the Bruce Highway – Cooroy to Curra – Section D upgrade
- $384 million for the Bruce Highway – Cairns Southern Access – Stage 3 – Edmonton to Gordonvale upgrade
- $120 million for the Bowen Basin Service Link – Walkerston Bypass project
- $220 million for the Great Northern Highway – Bindoon Bypass project
- $70 million to upgrade the Wheatbelt Secondary Freight Network