Concepts have been released, showing the bridge over Maribynong River, as well as showing rail travel between Sunshine and Albion Junction.
The rail will provide:
- Access to the entire public transport network including trains on the Geelong, Ballarat, Bendigo and Gippsland lines with a single interchange
- Direct access to Melbourne Airport from 30 stations without the need to change trains, for passengers travelling from the CBD and the booming south-eastern suburbs
- A new premium station at Melbourne Airport with 10-minute services
- Seamless travel to the heart of Melbourne’s CBD in under 30 minutes
- Direct access to key sites including Melbourne University, the Parkville medical precinct and the St Kilda Road business precinct.
The proposed elevated rail will avoid costly and disruptive impacts to several major roads.
Consultation with councils, communities, government agencies, Heritage Victoria and contractors is underway.
Construction will begin in 2022 with a target opening date of 2029 subject to relevant Victorian and Federal planning, environmental and other government approvals.