Projects will include roads, drainage systems and power supplies and the funding will be administered by the Queensland Reconstruction Authority.
Queensland Treasurer and Minister responsible for the QRA Cameron Dick said the Palaszczuk Government is investing in the infrastructure needed to protect communities and create jobs.
“Every community project we’re funding is contributing towards making Queensland the most disaster resilient state in Australia,” Dick said.
“This includes installing new generators and alternative power supplies, storm drainage and floodway upgrades, road and bridge repairs, and other construction projects.”
He said investing in greater disaster resilience also creates more work in our regions, boosting communities by creating vital jobs, a key pillar of our Unite and Recover COVID economic recovery plan.
In the past decade Queensland has been impacted by more than 80 significant natural disaster events.
Dick said to reduce the impacts of natural disasters it is imperative disaster resilience is embedded into infrastructure planning and delivery.
“We are future-proofing our state by delivering projects that better protect Queenslanders and their communities from potential disasters,” he said.
Resilience projects approved:
- Banana Shire Council: Mobile emergency generator ($36,500)
- Barcoo Shire Council: Floodway upgrade on Jundah-Winton Road ($360,000)
- Bulloo Shire Council: Standby generator for the Thargomindah Works Depot ($42,375)
- Burdekin Shire Council: Storm water drain upgrades on Conley Street ($316,399)
- Cherbourg Aboriginal Shire Council: Emergency power supply for the Cherbourg Administration and Disaster Control Centre ($31,352)
- Croydon Shire Council: Upgrade to Guildford Road ($307,167)
- Doomadgee Aboriginal Shire Council: Three new floodways on Old Doomadgee Road ($534,996)
- Hope Vale Aboriginal Shire Council: Auxiliary power supply ($294,768)
- Isaac Regional Council: Flood mitigation at Moranbah sewage pump station ($136,043)
- Kowanyama Aboriginal Shire Council: Water main upgrade and connection to Ergon power supply ($230,000)
- Napranum Aboriginal Shire Council: Disaster management equipment and bushfire fuel reduction activities ($162,400)
- Northern Peninsula Area Regional Council: Back-up power supply for Jardine water pump station ($303,149)
- Paroo Shire Council: Flood boat channel parallel to Eulo Bridge ($150,762)
- Quilpie Shire Council: Two concrete floodways on Canaway Downs Road ($120,000)
- Southern Downs Regional Council: Emergency generator for Stanthorpe Civic Centre ($103,000)
- Torres Strait Island Regional Council: Culvert crossing upgrade on Badu Wells Road ($177,211)
- Yarrabah Aboriginal Shire Council: New bridge on Buddabadoo Road ($172,750)